Marriage Information


Wisconsin Marriage License


Back to Top

How to Apply for a Wisconsin Marriage License



8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday thru Friday – By appointment only.  Please call to schedule your appointment for a marriage license at (920) 232-3430. 




Anyone may marry at age 16 with the consent of both his/her parents if they are living, or parent if they are divorced or one is deceased, or their legal guardian; or at 18 without consent.  Individuals under the age of 16 cannot marry under any circumstances.  A court can no longer grant special permission in such cases.



A person who is divorced is prohibited from marrying until 6 months after the date the divorce was granted, as directed in the following state statute:


Wis. Stats., Sec. 765.03 (2): It is unlawful for any person, who is or has been a party of an action for divorce in any court in this state, or elsewhere, to marry again until 6 months after judgement of divorce is granted, and the marriage of any such person solemnized before the expiration of 6 months from the date of the granting of judgment of divorce shall be void.



Effective 07/01/2022:  Allows a marriage license to be obtained from the clerk of any county in Wisconsin, and further allows the marriage ceremony to be performed in any county in Wisconsin.   


NON-RESIDENT:  Marriage in Wisconsin of non-residents who are prohibited from marrying in the state of their residence is not legal in Wisconsin.


WISCONSIN RESIDENTS THAT GO OUT-OF-STATE TO MARRY:  If a Wisconsin resident goes to another state to get married to avoid Wisconsin laws (i.e. six-month waiting period after a divorce) that marriage is not legal in Wisconsin.




  • Both applicants must apply in person. 
  • Each applicant shall present a government-issued, certified birth certificate.  Birth certificates must be in English, or officially translated to English.
  • If applicants cannot speak English, a translator will need to be present for the application process.  The translator cannot be related to either of the parties applying for the license.   
  • Social Security numbers are required on the marriage application, if applicants have a Social Security number.  If you know your number, we do not need to see the Social Security card.   
  • A picture ID (driver’s license, passport, etc.) must be presented at the time of application.
  • Divorced persons must present divorce judgment papers.  Widows or widowers must present a certified death certificate.  
  • When application for the marriage license is made, the applicants must have a wedding date set and provide us with the name of the officiant, his or her phone number and address, and the municipality and county where wedding is taking place. 



The marriage license goes into effect four days after the day of application.  After this waiting period, the license is good for 60 days and the wedding must take place during this 60-day time period.  In some cases, the 4-day waiting period may be waived for an additional $25.00 fee.



Parties must take an oath that the marriage will be lawful and the information given on the application is correct.



Wis. Stats. 765.11(1)  If any parent, grandparent, child, or natural guardian of a minor applicant for a marriage license, any brother, sister, or guardian of either of the applicants for a marriage license, either of the applicants, the district attorney, or a circuit court commissioner believes that the statements of the application are false or insufficient, or that an applicant is adjudicated incompetent without the right to marry, that person may file with the court having probate jurisdiction in the county in which the marriage license is applied for, a petition under oath, setting forth the grounds of objection to the marriage, and asking for an order requiring the parties making the application to show cause why the marriage license should not be refused.



License must be used within 60 days of issuance date.


Back to Top



Wis. Stats. 765.16 (1m) ......The following are authorized to be officiating persons:

(a)     Any ordained member of the clergy of any religious denomination or society who continues to be an ordained member of the clergy;

(b)    Any licentiate of a denominational body or an appointee of any bishop serving as the regular member of the clergy of any church of the denomination to which the member of the clergy belongs, if not restrained from so doing by the discipline of the church or denomination;

(c)     The 2 parties themselves, by mutual declarations, that they take each other as husband and wife, in accordance with the customs, rules and regulations of any religious society, denomination or sect to which either of said parties may belong;

(d)    Any judge of a court of record or a reserve judge appointed under S. 753.075;

(e)    Any circuit court commissioner appointed under SCR 75.02 (1) or supplemental court commissioner appointed under S. 757.675(1);

(f)      any municipal court judge.

(2m)    An officiating person under sub. (1m) (a), (b), (d), (e), or (f) must be at least 18 years old.



Two adults (18 years of age or older) are required to witness the ceremony and sign the marriage license.  They do not have to be in the wedding party.



$100.00 to be paid at the time of application.  Cash or checks are preferred.

Debit and credit cards are also accepted but have an additional service fee added to the cost.       

If the four-day waiting period is waived, there will be an additional fee of $25.00.
If office personnel travel off-site to complete an application, an additional $10.00 fee

will be charged. 

All fees associated with the application process are nonrefundable. 



Julie A Barthels
Winnebago County Clerk
(920) 232-3430