Licensing & Permits

Winnebago County Health Department serves as an agent for the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection and the Department of Safety and Professional Services. Environmental Health Specialists are responsible for the licensing and regulation of retail food and restaurant establishments, lodging establishments (hotel, motel, tourist rooming houses, bed and breakfasts), campgrounds, recreational education camps, swimming pools, manufactured home communities, and tattooing and body art facilities.

*The Winnebago County Health Department licenses and regulates establishments within the boarders of Winnebago County except for the cities of Appleton and Menasha.

Codes and Regulations For Licensed Businesses


License years run from July 1st to June 30th
Click here for application forms for events during the July 1, 2024- June 30, 2025 licensing period.

Opening a New Establishment

All new owners of existing businesses and owners of newly constructed establishments must obtain a license from Winnebago County Public Health. Follow the steps below to ensure everything is completed on time.

1. Plan Review

Before construction begins, the Winnebago County Health Department must review the building plans to ensure compliance regarding the building structure, equipment and plumbing. The Construction/Remodeling Checklist was developed as a tool to ensure necessary items are covered. Use this checklist to verify the code requirements are being met before construction begins.

2. Submit the following information:

  • One copy of blueprints or copy of floor plan
  • List of equipment
  • Contact name and phone number
  • Completed construction/remodeling checklist

**Additional information needed for Food Establishments

  • Proposed menu
  • Name, certificate number and expiration date of Certified Food Protection Manager

Submit to:
Winnebago County Health Department
Attention: Environmental Health
112 Otter Ave – PO Box 2808
Oshkosh, WI 54903

Or email:

3. Submit Fees and License Application

Complete and submit the required application and fees.

4. Contact Other Departments

It is suggested to contact the city or township where your food establishment will be located to ask about local ordinances, requirements or permits that are needed before opening.

5. Schedule a Pre-inspection

Contact Winnebago County Health Department at least two weeks before opening day to schedule a pre-inspection.

We want to hear from you!

Complete our Inspection Program Customer Survey

Useful Information: