Winnebago County Health Department serves as an agent for the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection and the Department of Safety and Professional Services. Environmental Health Specialists are responsible for the licensing and regulation of retail food and restaurant establishments, lodging establishments (hotel, motel, tourist rooming houses, bed and breakfasts), campgrounds, recreational education camps, swimming pools, manufactured home communities, and tattooing and body art facilities.
*The Winnebago County Health Department licenses and regulates establishments within the boarders of Winnebago County except for the cities of Appleton and Menasha.
Codes and Regulations For Licensed Businesses
- Bed and Breakfast [ATCP 73]
- Hotel, Motel, Tourist Rooming House [ATCP 72]
- Public Pools [ATCP 76][SPS 390]
- Restaurants/Retail Food [ATCP 75][Wisconsin Food Code]
- Tattoo and Body Piercing [SPS 221]
- Campgrounds [ATCP 79]
- Manufactured Home Communities [SPS 326]
- Recreational and Educational Camps [ATCP 78]
License years run from July 1st to June 30th
Click here for application forms for events during the July 1, 2021- June 30, 2022 licensing period.
Opening a New Establishment
All new owners of existing businesses and owners of newly constructed establishments must obtain a license from Winnebago County Public Health. Follow the steps below to ensure everything is completed on time.
1. Plan Review
Before construction begins, the Winnebago County Health Department must review the building plans to ensure compliance regarding the building structure, equipment and plumbing. The Construction/Remodeling Checklist was developed as a tool to ensure necessary items are covered. Use this checklist to verify the code requirements are being met before construction begins.
2. Submit the following information:
- One copy of blueprints or copy of floor plan
- List of equipment
- Contact name and phone number
- Completed construction/remodeling checklist
**Additional information needed for Food Establishments
- Proposed menu
- Name, certificate number and expiration date of Certified Food Protection Manager
Winnebago County Health Department
Attention: Environmental Health
112 Otter Ave – PO Box 2808
Oshkosh, WI 54903
3. Submit Fees and License Application
Complete and submit the required application and fees.
4. Contact Other Departments
It is suggested to contact the city or township where your food establishment will be located to ask about local ordinances, requirements or permits that are needed before opening.
5. Schedule a Pre-inspection
Contact Winnebago County Health Department at least two weeks before opening day to schedule a pre-inspection.
We want to hear from you!
Complete our Inspection Program Customer Survey
- Campgrounds (Campgrounds & Recreational Camps)
- Food (Restaurants, Retail Food Stores, & Vending Machines)
- Temporary Food Stands (Special Events and Farmers Markets)
- Lodging (Hotels, Motels, Tourist Rooming Houses, and Bed and Breakfast)
- Swimming Facilities
- Tattoo and Body Piercing